As my kids get ready to go back to school and there are no more vacations on the horizon, I find myself starting to look forward to fall. Don’t get me wrong, I love summer and the easiness of it, sundresses and flip-flops never get old, but I also like when the weather cools down and I can get back into a great trouser and a comfy sweater. Tonight I decided to take a look and see what Fall 2013 holds for me. While I don’t redo my wardrobe every season, I do update and add a few new fun pieces. Take a look at what the “experts” are saying. While not every trend works for every body, there is definitely something for everyone this Fall. I am really excited about some of the trends this Fall and can’t wait to bring them to you in our projects coming soon.
- Here are the colors that we will be seeing this Fall. Everyone is still talking green. From emerald to olive, green is hanging around a bit longer. Beside green, head-to-toe black knocked prints off the runway, while pink, orange, and red really warmed things up. Cream and camel provided palette cleansers, while moody moss-green and inky sapphire brought sophistication.
- Outerwear is in. Try it in houndstooth, plaid, velvet, fur or leather. All these fabrics made an appearance on the Fall 2013 runway.
- Leather never goes out, but this Fall try it in a deep blue, moss green, or burgundy.
- Embrace a classic print. From plaid to houndstooth, these classic prints are out in force. Like leopard, houndstooth, as well as other classic prints, pretty much go with everything. They really are a neutral. I love what Glamour says, “An old school menswear pattern in a 2013 cut is a recipe for chic if you ask me. Look for a houndstooth blazer for the office, which you can also wear with skinny jeans on the weekend.” I definitely think this is one trend I will jump on.
- Not having a good hair day? Hats are in. Cool caps made an appearance at just about every show, including Kate Spade and Tracy Reese.
- Despite its not-so-cool reputation, the plain old turtleneck is back in style. Think about it, , it keeps you toasty without adding bulk. Thanks to Glamour for “5 new ways to wear a plain ol’ turtleneck”.
- BCBG, as well as others, say layering in going to show up this Fall. While some of the runway combinations were a bit unconventional for my taste, I did like that they did keep the print and color to a minimum. Also since none of the pieces were bulky, the effect was still very streamlined. This trend may be one I have to think about.
- Dare to wear white. According to the runway, winter white will make a huge presents this Fall. Remember, as long as the fabric is appropriate, leave your lighter textiles, such as cotton, linen, and seersucker in the closet, and think more wool, cashmere, flannel, silk, and leather, you will be right on trend. Try a chic coat for the office, a chunky sweater, or a wool dress.
- High slits and skirts below the knee.
- Fur, I say go faux, was hot on the runway. From a vest, to a hoodie, to a full jacket, fur is making a comeback.
Wow, there are lots of great ideas to take away. I will be spending some time over the next few weeks talking to Robin and figuring out what new fabrics we have coming in for Fall and what projects we want to show you. Should be fun!